Thursday, July 17, 2008

Smile for the Camera!


Monday, Greg and I met with our fetal specialist for our third ultrasound at 12 ½ weeks. It was the most amazing experience ever! As part of the sequential screen testing process (a screening for Downs and other developmental disorders), the ultrasound tech needed to get a photo to measure the baby’s neck. Instead of showing off for the camera, the baby preferred to stay curled up on the uterine wall (see photo) instead of offering up a profile, which we needed. So, the tech had me cough several times, which made my diaphragm contract, causing the baby to stir. He/she was quite active for several minutes, moving its arms and legs and bouncing around in the womb. We even saw her/him move an arm over its head as if to say, “why are you messing with me, I’m trying to rest!”

After what seemed like 15 or so minutes of baby watching (I was ready for some buttered popcorn), we finally got some cooperation and the tech got the measurement she needed. The Doctor reviewed the pictures and said that everything looks good, and scheduled us for our next ultrasound on August 18. Pending cooperation from out little one, we should be able to find out the sex. Yeah! We can’t wait!!!! Anyone want to take a guess? Greg thinks it’s a boy; I’m leaning towards a girl.

Here’s the clearest photo. Can you see the toes in the left hand side of the picture? The baby has toes! And the best part is, as far as I can tell, the feet resemble normal feet, not Greg’s carni-like apple grabbers.

I do have to confess that I had a total pregnancy brain moment after the doctor. I was in such a rush to get to my appointment on time that I paid absolutely no attention to where I had parked. I arrived at the parking deck to have no idea what floor I’d parked on. I got some exercise finding my vehicle!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carni feet. NICE. I think it's going to be boy. But he'll have your hair and you can name him after one of the Jonas brothers.