Tuesday, July 1, 2008

If it’s not one thing, it’s another

As I’m approaching the 2nd trimester (only 9 more days!!!) my nausea has started to subside. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve still experienced it, but it’s been much less bothersome. But while that symptom diminishes, others have taken its naughty little place. Take for example, the dreaded hormone induced mood swings. In normal circumstances, I think of myself as a pretty even tempered person. Hopefully, this is not a self misinterpretation, and you all think the same of me – for the most part. Well, Saturday, after being on my feet all day grocery shopping and cooking for Greg’s birthday dinner, my mood reared its ugly head for more than a few minutes, and I was that person that hated the world just for being there. As Natalie would say, I was “foul.” Now I’m sure this won’t be the last mood swing I’ll have, so I’ll go ahead right now and give my husband the kudos he deserves for just letting me be until the moment passed. I guess he did pick up some valuable tips from “The Caveman’s Pregnancy Companion: A Survival Guide for Expectant Fathers.”

Next up on my list: tiredness. The last two weeks, I’ve been so tired after hardly working at the bank all day that I’ve been ready to make some z’s upon arriving home from work. Most days, I’ve been forcing myself to hit the treadmill or ride the stationary bike at the gym in an attempt to get the 30+ minutes of exercise suggested daily. That keeps me alert long enough to drive home without dozing off and make dinner, which I’m certainly not going to miss. Once my nausea started to wane, my appetite came back in full force. Lunch at 10:15 anyone?

Last, but certainly not the least, or the most pleasant: gas. Lately, I’ve had more gas than an Exxon station. If only there was some way to bottle it up for $4 a gallon, I wouldn’t have to fill up twice up a week for $55 a pop. Referring to my commute, I now have a new appreciate for the alone time I spend in the car, as well as my solo time in the shower, the copy room, aisle 8 at Publix, or anywhere else where I can just, well, let ‘er rip. Of course, if one slips when in the company of others, this is a great example of when owning a dog can come in really handy. It’s easy to divert the attention away from yourself, claiming, “oops, that pepperoni I gave Chase must not have agreed with her.” I’m not saying I’ve done that, it just seems like it could be a good idea.

All in all, I’m feeling pretty good and, I never thought I’d say this, have seen the light of the fashion world that promises wide, stretchy, elastic bands. As a seasoned “What Not the Wear” viewer, I thought I’d never willingly go there, but I’m more than ready to follow the light! Viva the stretchy pant!

No comments: