Monday, July 14, 2008

Dizziness and Dinner Just Don’t Mix

Lately I’ve been exhausted, so I decided to take it easy this weekend and get plenty of rest in between completing various tasks around the house. But Saturday, I felt pretty good – refreshed after a good night’s sleep. I woke up around 9, had some breakfast, checked email, did 4 loads of laundry, ran errands, grocery shopped, hung some curtain tie backs and two pictures, and even walked 2 miles at the park. And I did all this without a drop of caffeine. Well, if you are thinking to yourself, “Wow, this sounds like a lot for the average mortal to get done in one afternoon, especially without caffeine,” then you’d be completely right.

By the time I got around to fixing dinner – an ambitious enchilada recipe involving homemade salsa verde – I was very tired. But I knew if I could just get dinner in the oven, I’d be home free and could relax the rest of the night. So, I pressed on. I had chopped and diced everything by the time I got to prepping the chicken.

To make life easier, I’d bought a rotisserie chicken and just needed to pull the meat away from the skin and bone. The dogs were extremely interested in my task and were constantly under my feet, waiting for a stray piece of chicken. They are most always rewarded – be it from charity or carelessness. About half way through the chicken prep, I started to feel dizzy. Acknowledging that a chef’s knife and dizziness just don’t mix, I took a break to sip some water and rest before continuing. I pushed the half chicken to the back of the counter and took a seat in the living room. Shortly after I sat down, a thud erupted from the kitchen….and Maggey was no where to be seen. Greg raced in to find that Maggey had pulled the chicken from the counter and, as we say in the south, was fixin’ to eat it. What a naughty, naughty girl! She was punished and the chicken was rescued (no- I don't eat after my dog - the chicken skin protected the breast meat inside).

Clearly, the moral of the story is, pregnant woman and the kitchen just don’t mix. Or maybe it should be not to overextend yourself and cram two days worth of chores into one afternoon..... You decide.

No comments: