Friday, February 20, 2009

One Month Old


Avery is officially one month old and had her check-up with the pediatrician yesterday. She is very healthy and topped the scale at 8 lbs. 2 oz.! She's gained almost 2 lbs. since birth and 2.5 lbs. since leaving the hospital. I felt pretty good about that until Dr. Cheek told me she was in the 50th percentile for her weight and head circumference. Again, he told me to diligently feed her 35 minutes every 3 hours during the day. She almost never eats that long and the Dr.'s advice always makes me doubt that breastfeeding is the right choice. She often dozes off while feeding or just latches off. I have tried undressing her and try to stimulate her as much as possible while eating, but there is only so much I can do. If she doesn't want to eat, I can not force feed her!
Anyway, from what I've read, she's gaining weight a little ahead of the curve (about an ounce a day is normal), so part of me feels like I have nothing to worry about. Despite Dr. Cheek's kind bedside manor and gentleness with Avery, his bad novelty ties and discouraging opinion about her weight make me consider switching pediatricians.
I'm sure none of you are surprised to hear that Avery is in the 90th percentile for her height. With her Dad topping 6' 4'' and me at 5' 9'', that's no shock. All she needs is a pack of Malboro Reds and a liter of Ketel One and she's ready to sport some high baby fashion on the runway!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Big Girl Avery!!!
By the way, just sent you an email C.

O. Oyl said...

2.5 lbs in 4 weeks! WOW. Hope the "girls" are doing ok. That is a lot of milk. As for the doctor, as long as she poops and pee's, she is going to be fine. Emme is always in the 50% in weight. And you know what, 50% is NORMAL/AVERAGE. You don't want a giant baby like in Albany do you? Keep up the good work momma!!

Amanda Baley said...

I agree with Dkahlan, you are doing fine, don't let the doc get to you. Keep on keeping on. Mama's milk is so good for little Avery and her growth is showing it. Follow your instincts...