

I know, I know. I haven’t blogged in about 10 days, but I have two legitimate reasons why. First, if you missed it, see my previous post regarding me having Montezuma’s revenge without having the pleasure of slurping down margaritas and soaking up the sun in Mexico. Second, get this; I am now blocked from logging into my blogger account at work….gasp! This is going to seriously affect on my ability to blog. I know that I have a responsibility to my loyal and faithful readers (all four of you) so I will do my best to keep you updated on all things Avery.
Here’s what’s been going on in the last week….
Baby Daddy took Avery to her 2-month check-up on 3/23. She got her immunizations (and reportedly screamed like a banshee) and a clean bill of health, but is back to a failing grade in the weight category. Avery only gained 20 ounces since her 1-month check-up to weigh in at 9 lbs. 6 oz. She’s slipped from the 50th percentile in weight to the 10th, which is a big concern for the Dr. He told Greg that we need to fatten her up by feeding her every 3 hours including at night, meaning we’d need to wake her up. She usually sleeps anywhere from 5-7 consecutive hours a night now. Obviously this guy had a stay-at-home wife to take care of his children and breast feed them all. I am sure he never had to get up multiple times during the middle of the night to force feed his child and still function the next day at his JOB.
This advice happened to be the last straw in our long list of complaints about this practice, which include Greg and Avery having to wait for over 2 hours during Monday’s check-up and difficulty in scheduling convenient and timely appointments. And (stereotype alert!) don’t even get me started on Greg’s reports of the little Hispanic children repeatedly trying to touch Avery while they waited…
I had a consultation with a new pediatrician Tuesday and scheduled Avery’s next check-up with them. They had me at “same day appointments available” and Scooby Doo playing on the flat screen TV in the exam room. I considered Scooby Doo “the sign” I needed as I was infatuated with Scooby as a child, and continue to harbor feelings of affinity for Scooby and the gang.
The new Doc is not nearly as concerned about Avery’s weight since she’s still on the chart and has gained weight. He actually listened to me when I shared her sleep schedule and my reluctance to wake her up in the middle of the night to eat. He seemed to think that bumping her up to 8-10 feedings a day (from 6-8) and putting her on a cycle of higher calorie formula would pack on some pounds, so we’re giving that a try.
Otherwise, with being back at work full time, my illness last week, my long commute, and concerns over Avery’s weight, attempting to breast feed exclusively just isn’t working for us. I started “stage one” of the weaning process and am actually so happy here I might hang out for awhile. I eliminated my two least favorite feedings and after 5 days, feel that my body has adjusted well. Avery doesn’t seem to care and may actually eat better out of the bottle since she’s a lazy eater and the bottle flows faster. I feel that this arrangement, at least for right now, offers the best of best worlds. Avery still gets some of the good juice while the formula feedings offer me a lot more flexibility to be out and about with or without Avery, and piece of mind that she’s getting enough to eat because I can measure the bottle feedings. I guess I always thought of breastfeeding as all or nothing and it doesn’t have to be that way.
Well, that’s the gist of what’s new here. I'm planning a mini photo session this weekend, so come back for new photos soon!
Here’s what’s been going on in the last week….
Baby Daddy took Avery to her 2-month check-up on 3/23. She got her immunizations (and reportedly screamed like a banshee) and a clean bill of health, but is back to a failing grade in the weight category. Avery only gained 20 ounces since her 1-month check-up to weigh in at 9 lbs. 6 oz. She’s slipped from the 50th percentile in weight to the 10th, which is a big concern for the Dr. He told Greg that we need to fatten her up by feeding her every 3 hours including at night, meaning we’d need to wake her up. She usually sleeps anywhere from 5-7 consecutive hours a night now. Obviously this guy had a stay-at-home wife to take care of his children and breast feed them all. I am sure he never had to get up multiple times during the middle of the night to force feed his child and still function the next day at his JOB.
This advice happened to be the last straw in our long list of complaints about this practice, which include Greg and Avery having to wait for over 2 hours during Monday’s check-up and difficulty in scheduling convenient and timely appointments. And (stereotype alert!) don’t even get me started on Greg’s reports of the little Hispanic children repeatedly trying to touch Avery while they waited…
I had a consultation with a new pediatrician Tuesday and scheduled Avery’s next check-up with them. They had me at “same day appointments available” and Scooby Doo playing on the flat screen TV in the exam room. I considered Scooby Doo “the sign” I needed as I was infatuated with Scooby as a child, and continue to harbor feelings of affinity for Scooby and the gang.
The new Doc is not nearly as concerned about Avery’s weight since she’s still on the chart and has gained weight. He actually listened to me when I shared her sleep schedule and my reluctance to wake her up in the middle of the night to eat. He seemed to think that bumping her up to 8-10 feedings a day (from 6-8) and putting her on a cycle of higher calorie formula would pack on some pounds, so we’re giving that a try.
Otherwise, with being back at work full time, my illness last week, my long commute, and concerns over Avery’s weight, attempting to breast feed exclusively just isn’t working for us. I started “stage one” of the weaning process and am actually so happy here I might hang out for awhile. I eliminated my two least favorite feedings and after 5 days, feel that my body has adjusted well. Avery doesn’t seem to care and may actually eat better out of the bottle since she’s a lazy eater and the bottle flows faster. I feel that this arrangement, at least for right now, offers the best of best worlds. Avery still gets some of the good juice while the formula feedings offer me a lot more flexibility to be out and about with or without Avery, and piece of mind that she’s getting enough to eat because I can measure the bottle feedings. I guess I always thought of breastfeeding as all or nothing and it doesn’t have to be that way.
Well, that’s the gist of what’s new here. I'm planning a mini photo session this weekend, so come back for new photos soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment