Friday, December 19, 2008

Under The Hood

Yesterday, I had my 35-week check-up with my OB. She went “under the hood” to do the strep test and check my cervix, marking the first time since my initial appointment at 6 weeks that I’ve had to partially undress. The strep test checks for bacteria in the birth canal that could transfer to the baby during birth and give her an infection. If the bacteria are present, we both get treated with an antibiotic during labor and after delivery, so this is really no big deal. The test basically involves swabbing – get this – BOTH holes. That’s right. I expected the first area; the second area was a not-so-pleasant surprise. Anyway, while my Dr. was “already down there” she went ahead and checked my cervix, which also does not evoke pleasant sensations, as checking the cervix is done manually…and the cervix is a few inches in. Anyway, she reported that it has started to soften, but showed no signs of dilation. She also was confident she felt Panda’s head down there, which is a good sign, somewhat appeasing my concern that she’ll be breech. Panda doesn’t seem to stay in one position for long, but at least she knows which way is down!

Though my baby maker is making some progress towards labor and delivery, the actual event does not appear to be imminent, which is good, because again, I’m not quite ready! In other check-up news, my uterus measured right at 35 weeks, and Panda’s heartbeat and my blood pressure were both very good. I will see the Dr. weekly at this point, but because of the holiday next week, wasn’t able to get back in until 12/29. I think I might wait to make my New Year’s plans until after that appointment, just in case!

In other “how I am feeling news,” mainly I’m just tired. My mid-pregnancy burst of energy has completely disappeared, so even though I’ve been sleeping better that earlier in the week, I’ve continued to feel very tired. I’ve also experienced quite a bit of Braxton Hicks lately, and some days, have a few episodes of it. My belly tightens up into a slightly unpleasant (but not painful) cramp, which may last a few seconds or several minutes. The entire episode may last a few minutes or an hour, and then goes away. I guess this is just one of those signs that my body is preparing to bless us with our baby girl in a few or more weeks!

This weekend, I plan to put the finishing touches on the nursery and make my final shopping list for Babies R Us. I’m starting to run out of excuses to not be ready!

No comments: